Who are the Wayuu ?
The word "wayuu» means person or people. The Wayuu indigenous people were one of the first settlers of La Guajira, north of Colombia, and its presence has been recorded since the year 150 a. c.
This ancient ethnic group is characterized by its resistance to conquests and invaders of the territory. Until in 1810 they lost their independence and became part of that nation. For this reason and Because they are the largest tribe in Colombia, they are protected by the Government "to guarantee the protection of ancestral territories, invest in their economic development and protect their cultural identity and civil rights"
WAYUU SOCIAL STRUCTURE
ROLE OF WAYUU WOMEN :
- they are the leaders And they play the most important role. are made charge of society, politics, control of property and custody of their children. In the Wayuu culture, women are admired as a superior and divine being, for this reason, their social organization is matriarchal.
- Is an independent person: creates their own economy thanks to her skills with wayuu weaving and ceramics. Besides, assumes that true relatives are children and relatives by maternal line. For this reason, the children acquire only the maternal surname.
- She is a trainer: the wayuu customs are only taught through the woman.
- It is the highest authority: the social organization is in charge of the maternal family and especially of the women.
- She is an expert in natural medicine: they are women who love take care of the divinity of the body, the spirit and the mind.
ROLE OF THE WAYUU MAN
- The Wayuu indigenous people are in charge of daily activities such as grazing, hunting and maintaining the crop.
- In the Wayuu ethnic group polygamy is allowedAs long as the man can sustain these activities for all the families.
- wayuu men make their own sandals and hats To protect yourself from the sun on long hunting days.